Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working on an triumvirate impression
Kevin,

Your plans closely mirror my own. I'm gathering equipment that can be used for a Late Republican Legionary impression which can also serve for a Tiberian Auxiliary infantryman impression.

To answer some of your questions :

The Augustan Shield with curved sides appears by 10 BC. But it did not replace the old-style Republican shield since we see Praetorians still carrying them in the famous Louvre relief which dates to the time of Claudius, IIRC. And since you're portraying a legion raised during the Republic it would seem likely that they carried the more traditional scutum well into the early Principate, IMO.

Helmets : Montefortino models 'C' thru 'F' would be good from 1st century BC all the way through to Augustus. The Coolus 'C' model may be good for a Caesarian impression. It's virtually identical with model 'E' and therefore the two types are probably contemporary according to Matthw Amt's website. The dating is quite murky for these Coolus helmets. (I'm choosing to go with a Coolus 'C' myself)

BTW, a Mainz gladius is probably too late for a Caesarian impression. A gladius hispaniensis would be a better choice.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Working on an triumvirate impression - by Theodosius the Great - 03-27-2009, 12:31 AM