Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Auxiliaries - Linguistic question
I do not think that the insciption on this boss would have anything to do with a battle field situation, for as I mentioned in other discussion I consider that this particular item may well have been used in the Hippica Gymnasia and was a parade or games armour piece. This would have been a very private piece of equipment held very securely by the cavalry owner.
The other kind of insciptions on many armour pieces may well have been for recognition when the soldier drew his equipment from the Armorium in the fort, I use my own long military experience to say this for I'm sue that in peacefull situations soldiers do not go around in camp or fort carrying all their gear.
When on guard duty yes but then it would have been handed out to them at the end of day when the fort would go into a lock down situation, in normal every day activity I would think that the majority of soldiers would go around simply wearing their tunic belt and Pugio.
In more hostile situations yes they would have had all their kit to hand, but with more established frontier systems and the intelligence network they had they would have known exactly what was going on 100 miles away. This is what I would consider the reason for inscriptions on armour pieces was for.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Re: Eastern Auxiliaries - Linguistic question - by PhilusEstilius - 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM