Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World)
Quote:
Paullus Scipio:2a1coyz8 Wrote:Black-clad Thespians? Another 'myth' AFIK ,whose source is the black clad Thespians in the '62 movie version of Thermopylae starring Richard Egan as Leonidas..........

Anybody know another source for this? :lol: :lol:

Hm, with all due respect Paullus, I dug out the DVD this weekend and Demophilis is the only Thespian featured in the film (unless I missed something) and he is (gasp) wearing a white cloak! :|

Edit: I watched the film again today (we are snowed in) there is one scene in which Demophilis is accompanied by a couple of 'Thespians', they are all wearing white chitons and cloaks.

Hhh..mm..mm, I confess I was relying on memory, and I have not seen the film for DECADES, but my overall impression was that the "Thespians" were basically 'black' as opposed to the Spartans in (what else?) 'red'. Now that you mention it, I do recall the white cloaks - but in contrast to a very 'blackish' overall look....was it their armour etc that was shown black? ( I did say 'black-clad' not 'black-cloaked')........

If what I suggested is right, there won't be an earlier depiction of Thespian Hoplites in 'black' prior to the Richard Egan movie - unless the costumes derived from an earlier source, hence my question.....

Here's another (movie?)image I came across for 'black-clad' Thespians....not from the Richard Egan "300 Spartans" though, I think......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World) - by Paullus Scipio - 01-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marathon 490BC (Great Battles of the World) Ghostmojo 5 3,729 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo