Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Cavalry Officer, Punic Wars?
Quote:The problem is that both shields appear side by side in use at the same time as well, so that we perhaps cannot easily qualify popanum shields as early and round "Celtic" shields as coming later.

But there is that passage from Polybios specifically stating that the Roman cavalry abandoned the smaller popanum type in favour of the Greek-style shield as soon as they realized these were superior. As I stated in the book, I imagine the two styles (and the various styles of armour) actually co-existed side by side in various combinations with any transition being slow.

Quote:Actually, during the Hellenistic period, it is abundantly evident from funerary stelai that greaves were normally worn by cavalrymen. Whether that reflects on Roman practice, however, is very unclear

That's interesting. Could you point me towards somewhere I can see some examples of these, preferably online?

Phil Sidnell

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Cavalry Officer, Punic Wars? - by philsidnell - 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Roman Cavalry Officer archive Caballo 10 3,413 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Q: Naval transportation - Roman legions (Punic Wars) Cranke 12 3,709 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Last Post: andersao
  Breastplates during Punic Wars Johnny Shumate 4 1,749 12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Crispvs