Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Cavalry Officer, Punic Wars?
Hello there,

I suspect you have had lots of interest in your question but few replies because we'd all like to know the answers but solid evidence is sparse and ambiguous. Much revolves around interpretation of a passage in Polybius, which throws up as many questions as it answers and is too long to repeat here right now.

At the risk of being mobbed for self-advertisement, could I refer you to pages 157-161 of my book Warhorse: Cavalry in Ancient Warfare, where I discussed the possibilities and the problems as I understood them.

In summary I think I would opt, as a safe bet, for an open-faced helmet of some type, perhaps a Greek-influenced Boeotian, or those (Montefortino?) used by the infantry; a muscled cuirass (as he is an officer), a stout spear as primary weapon (something like an 8' hoplite spear or the hasta of the triarii) and a sword for back up. The shield might be the round type with reinforced spine carried by the Greek enemy on the Aemilius Paullus monument (possibly adopted by Greeks from Celtic origins during Galatian invasion and, as the easiest but far from universally accepted explanation has it, taken to Italy by Pyrrhus). I wouldn't have a clue what designs might be painted on it - a family/clan emblem, individual choice?

Anyway, look forward to seeing what some others have to say.

Phil Sidnell

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Cavalry Officer, Punic Wars? - by philsidnell - 02-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Roman Cavalry Officer archive Caballo 10 3,413 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Q: Naval transportation - Roman legions (Punic Wars) Cranke 12 3,709 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Last Post: andersao
  Breastplates during Punic Wars Johnny Shumate 4 1,749 12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Crispvs