Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does "Naked" mean Without Armour?
Quote:running around naked in our sort of weather ,not to mention battle, seems a bit extreme.

Extreme - Isn't that the point? To look totally badass and intimidate the enemy, and seeing how Romans had this sort of trouble with nekkidness?

I'm still unsure on whether I see it being "without armor" or "without clothes" as the meaning of "naked"

there could be more implications to fighting nekkid and why it was such a big deal back then than we realize, cultural viewpoints and such on the body and how it's 'displayed' from ancient times may have faded and lost their full meaning today - and certainly with say here in the States, there is this pervasive "puritanical" feeling of nekkidness, it's this big deal no-no issue with so many people (yet, ironically, "superstars" prance around in practically nothing on and they're praised about it), I don't think our culture could really learn to think outside of this narrow view to better understand it.

I know if I had some hulking guy running me down looking to remove my head from my body would be pretty damn scary, even more so if he was so brazen as to charge at me with no clothes on. I think that's pretty messed up - but then is this a relgio-cultural bias I'm letting dictate how I perceive it? Did the (Romans) do this, too?
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Does "Naked" mean Without Armour? - by euryalus - 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Re: Does "Naked" mean Without Armour? - by A_Volpe - 02-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Re: Does "Naked" mean Without Armour? - by madoc - 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Re: Does "Naked" mean Without Armour? - by Conal - 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article draft \"Fighting Greeks, Naked Celts\" Michael J. Taylor 19 5,197 03-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor