Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does "Naked" mean Without Armour?
Looking at it practically running around naked in our sort of weather ,not to mention battle, seems a bit extreme. However I would not rule out that a small minority might have fought naked while the majority would have been clad in trousers, tunic and shield. One of the more famous instances of nakedness concerned the Gaesatae at Telamon(225BC). Polybius describes how the Gaesatae went into battle naked, both because of their great confidence and apparently their desire not to get their clothes caught in the brambles. My opinion is that generally,in Britannia,Gaul or wherever else,most warriors would have been clad. However I stand to be corrected and any other views are very welcome.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes

Messages In This Thread
Does "Naked" mean Without Armour? - by euryalus - 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Re: Does "Naked" mean Without Armour? - by Na Saighdiuir - 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Re: Does "Naked" mean Without Armour? - by madoc - 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Re: Does "Naked" mean Without Armour? - by Conal - 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article draft \"Fighting Greeks, Naked Celts\" Michael J. Taylor 19 5,255 03-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor