Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Roman Tent is in the works
I have to admit that I am not so well informed about Roman tents, however I have for some time had this theory or idea if you like. When we hear of a contaburnium tent I often wonder about the setting up of it, for on the march the soldiers would no dought do this when they arrived before night fall. I kind of think they may have used their bag pack poles to support the side walls of the tent that is four down each side, with two long fork poles and a long ridge pole for the upper area. I would ask if anyone has ever considered this idea for it makes sence to me that come the move in the next morning it would be easy to just take out their pack poles so dropping the sides, then lay the tent down and swing in the fork poles roll it up with the long poles inside and just put it onto a mule the rest of the wood being carried by the 8 guys.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Re: Another Roman Tent is in the works - by PhilusEstilius - 01-27-2009, 02:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do we know about roman tent frames? Neuraleanus 33 7,761 01-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Roman fabric tent Luca 15 6,780 03-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Anonymous