Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make cataphract gear?
Okay, you want a lot and fast (but mention a budget). I would advice to start reading here:
[url:2v5dvggy]http://www.comitatus.net/cavalryhome.htm[/url]

Okay it's more about the horse (and saddle) part, but it's the best start for everything that has to do with (late) roman cavalry. Most (sculped) hair/facemask helmets are from 1st or early 2nd century as I remember right. At least the awesome ones from Nijmegen and some from Xanten are.
I currently waiting for my face mask helmet, but what I know from previous experience with face-masks is that they work better then you would expect, and after some time you get used to it and never mind them anymore. But they need to have a good fit!

Do we have any evidence for foot segs? I know the 2nd century segmented manica and very nice 2nd and 3rd century greaves for you legs, but not segmentata likes. Hamata (chain) for as you main body protection is perfect.

About the others. The shield you could best make yourself. For the hasta (spear) look for some good sources. (I'm europe based, so I don't know the ways you should go). Take into acount what you want to do with it. Do you want to trow with them on demostrations, then I would suggest SCA speartips, otherwise historical ones. Same goes for the spatha. Those from deepeeka are nice, but I wouldn't use them in any kind of demonstation. Again, you've to better define your time frame, as the spatha do differ a bit. Custom made ones are really expensive on the other hand.

Check [url:2v5dvggy]http://www.larp.com/legioxx[/url] for USA based suppliers for all this.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Messages In This Thread
How to make cataphract gear? - by marcust - 01-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Re: How to make cataphract gear? - by Jvrjenivs - 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Re: How to make cataphract gear? - by marcust - 01-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Re: How to make cataphract gear? - by Jvrjenivs - 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Re: How to make cataphract gear? - by marcust - 01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Re: How to make cataphract gear? - by Jvrjenivs - 01-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Re: How to make cataphract gear? - by jkaler48 - 01-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Re: How to make cataphract gear? - by Peroni - 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM