Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners)
Quote:Alexander,

Is the picture you posted from Mik's book based on any evidence suggesting that a sword would have been suspended in the way(s) he is depicting? If there is plausible evidence for this, then it would be great.
Quote:All of the objects shown in the image that Alexander posted up were found together.
Yes, the diagram from Miks proposes a reconstruction of the Vindonissa find. On the diagram, H is a drawing of the find, A-G - the parts of the find, and I and J - proposed reconstruction of the suspension system. Miks also refers to the sculpture which I posted in the above post as a possible illustration of this type (J) of suspension.

Quote:The button fastener illustrated in Miks could also keep the gladius to the armpit if the top holes fed the strap above and over the belt, with the bottom holes feeding a strap below it. Not much difference to the single criss-cross strap secured with a buckle really.
I used two vertical straps going through the top and bottom rings on each side of the belt, albeit without the fastener. Works good and keeps the sword at the proper height, as seen here - my son is wearing the sword.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati

Messages In This Thread
standards - by derek forrest - 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Re: How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) - by M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 12-18-2008, 01:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,629 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,355 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Gladius and pugio munazio planco 3 1,625 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Last Post: d.carmichael