Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners)
I have seen what you refer to Byron however I don't think that the strap Facilis has for his dagger is what I refer to. The situation put forward by Dr. Christian Miks is as Cesar points out only a suggestion at this time, he may discover more evidence in the future to support his claim. Then of course the subject of strap going to top ring and bottom ring is not indeed a baldric, they are straps as mentioned by Byron in H. R. R. p166. When we look at the picture of the soldier of Palmyra he also is not wearing a badric. The point that I raised about a split baldric is a style that was originated by the oldest re-enactment group the ESG, which goes over the shoulder and splits at the rear to go to a top and bottom ring. This I have always considered to be an ill concieved idea about the baldric strap, and in no way is there any evidence for this method anywhere in monuments or otherwise.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
standards - by derek forrest - 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Re: How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) - by PhilusEstilius - 12-16-2008, 10:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,661 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,363 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Gladius and pugio munazio planco 3 1,631 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Last Post: d.carmichael