Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners)
Quote:I dunno. Given the propensity for military folk to wear things with a bit of variation, I don't really think there's one right way all the time in every case. Doesn't stop a given group from specifying that something be worn a certain way.

Right--In MY group, the right way is the way we *know* the Romans did it. No need to make anything up.

Quote:All of this is pure conjecture and so anathema to many folk, but I suspect the pugio was worn both ways with perhaps one being more common than the other.

I only suspect what I see. Keeps me on the True Path. If I see another method (from the period in question!!), I'll be happy to suspect that, too!

Quote:People are people after all...if our gear has changed a lot over the centuries then our basic natures haven't so much.

Go and talk to a few modern people from other cultures, and you will be amazed at how different their "basic natures" are! The more I learn about Romans, the less likely I am to believe that they thought anything like the way we do. For one thing, they were slaves to fashion, and a decorative dagger on a decorative belt is quite likely going to be dictated mostly by fashion.

Quote:
Quote:Matthew Amt wrote:
The depictions of the gladius worn at an angle may be showing the gladius hispaniensis, such as the Ahenobarbus relief. Those generally had only 2 rings at the back of the scabbard at first, like the Delos sword, so they would indeed hang at an angle.

Nope, some are on trajans column as well. Wink

DOH! Okay, got me on that one! Now I have to go and do some RESEARCH, grumble grumble...

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
standards - by derek forrest - 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Re: How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) - by Matthew Amt - 12-13-2008, 07:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,661 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,363 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  Gladius and pugio munazio planco 3 1,631 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Last Post: d.carmichael