Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a bow
Hi Gin, and thanks Randi for pointing out this thread.

I make bows, and would be very happy to help. The first thing I would recommend you do is join Primitive Archer's forums (primitivearcher.com). Free and some of the best wooden bow makers are there from around the world, and are all very happy to help beginners and experienced bow builders. Maybe someone near you can also help you in person.

Borrow or buy The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Vol 1 - 4, but Vol 1 is the best one to have first. everything you need to know, for wood selection and tools to how to tiller, finishing wood, making strings, etc is covered in that book.

As for tools, you can keep it very simple. A hatchet or axe or machete, some wood rasps and files, a cabinate scraper, and a saw is all you need in the way of tools. A workbench is nice, but not necessary (I use an old table and wooden handscrew vices). I also use an antique draw knife and a spokeshave for most of my work, but minimal tools will get it done just fine. The only power tool most bow makers use is a band saw. One day, I wnat one, but am fine if I never own one too.

You are not exactly carving the wood, but instead, think of it as shaping the wood so it bends in an arc. That is what tillering is. A 2" hickory sapling is fine to start with, but starting with a hardwood board is also a great and inexpensive way to begin to learn bow making. A trip to Lowes or Home Depot etc. and a red oak board is how most folks begin learning.

There are two sides to to the bow, the belly and the back. The belly is the side of the bow facing you, which bends in toward you as you pull the string. The back is the side facing the target. The "secret" of making bows is to not violate the grain of the wood on the back. So, when looking for wood, you want straight grain running the lenght of the future bow. The back you leave alone, and work only the belly side.

If you want to try the hickolry sapling, you have to dry it first. Sealing the ends with yellow wood glue or white glue or varnish, etc. prvents checking as the wood drys. You want about .5% to .8% humidity in the wood. If too green, the wood will take a lot of set (will stay bent when you are done shooting), and if too dry, will break while working it. How long it takes depends on the humidity where you live, and other factors.

Once the stave is dry, you want to debark it, and that is done with a cabinate scraper or even a pocket knife. Dedice how wide you want the bow to be, and then shape the sides and handle (all this is covered nicely in Traditional Bowyers Bible, Vol. 1).

And more if you are interested in hearing. There is a lot to learn at first, but it is all realtively simple work to make a basic wood flat bow or long bow. Oh, as for length, your height is a good basic rule of thumb. I'm 66" tall, and make mine around that tall. A short bow is something a bit more complicated to do, but keeping it simple is a good way to begin ( and continue going, too).

Making a wooden bow is not that difficult, and very addictive once the bug bites you.

As for bows breaking and huring you, that can happend, but in almost all isntances, if the bow is going to break, it will happen during the building process. I have not had one break, but have had one destring under full draw, and it was a bit unnerving, but I and the bow were fine. Traditional archery is probably far safer than football or skiing. Ask my leg that, lol.

Feel free to contact me, as well. I wont begin to discuss composite bows, an entirely different beast, one I am wrestling with now. Although we havent found any all wood bows used by Roman troops, it seems to me they probaby did have them for practice and other purposes. the all wood self bow is ancient, perhaps 14,000 years or more.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica

Messages In This Thread
Making a bow - by Dogote - 12-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Re: Making a bow - by M. Demetrius - 12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Re: Making a bow - by Dogote - 12-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Re: Making a bow - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Re: Making a bow - by Jvrjenivs - 12-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Re: Making a bow - by Dogote - 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Re: Making a bow - by M. Demetrius - 12-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Re: Making a bow - by Buggnkat - 12-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Re: Making a bow - by P. Clodius Secundus - 12-24-2008, 11:19 AM