Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiatorial battles at Colosseum
I read the articles that panairjdde posted and I must say that the vice mayor is simply daft. Basically he wants to set up a theme park ancient Roman Style" where he suggests games and rides of ancient Rome.

He also suggests that after seeing this theme park, people will become curious and would like to see the real thing.

Yeah, when you go on vacation with kids, they would let the parents run to see the originals. I went to Disney with my kids. It was non-stop 9 hours/ day for 8 days.

Why did he not save himself time and wind by saying "I want to make money and a Roman Disney is necessary".

Jona,

There is nothing strange with "as close as possible" since there were other gladiatorial battles before the Coloseum were there not? Thus being that the Coloseum is world famous and gladiator battles went on there, then why not adopt what Seneca wrote about in a theatre where such things might have occurred.

Also the comment about tasteless. This is yet another way of saying that society has become soft and we should handle it with cotton balls. Unless the violence is categorized as fiction or sport then it is ok.

I am not suggesting that executions should be held but then not every single aspect has to be shown. Actually, one could announce at the "show" that executions were part of what went on without having to get graphic.

However, a hyppocrisy exists (Not you Jona just about the world in general). People will look at movies like "Saw" that are horridly graphic in the dissmemberment of people but it is ok since it is fiction. But showing a mock execution at the Coloseum is tasteless because it happened for real.

Need we go on:

This is the universal mentality of most people: Extreme fighting (sport), you tube videos showing people being blown up (this is real but does not mostly go on in Europe or America so being that it does not affect us dierectly who cares), Boxing (sport)etc... Come on lets get real.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Gladiatorial battles at Colosseum - by Doc - 12-20-2008, 03:43 AM
Re: Gladiatorial battles at Colosseum - by Doc - 12-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Re: Gladiatorial battles at Colosseum - by Doc - 12-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Re: Gladiatorial battles at Colosseum - by Doc - 12-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Re: Gladiatorial battles at Colosseum - by Doc - 12-21-2008, 10:04 PM