Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women in the roman army? (Combatants)
Let us try to work this out :twisted:

The risk would be too great for any woman in her right mind.I'm not arguing that women can't fight(that isn't what the post is about :wink: ) but a Roman woman in that period wouldn't only be risking her life,but rape from the "other men" in her unit.She couldn't keep up a pretence for any length of time. They liked to have a good sit down and chat in the W.C. never mind the baths.

Or does she always run off to a girls only bush when in the field?

What motive could she have?.If she was able to pull off the trick with the rank and file she could never hope to be promoted as this would bring her more attention and thereby more risk of being found out.

She could never return to any position of Roman womenhood because if found out she would of been debased in the eyes of the culture. What is she getting out of it?

The only possible way is if she isn't a Roman woman but some sort of ally from a culture where is was acceptable for women to fight in open war.

:?

One thought an Emperor was travelling and in his retinue was a female gladiator and they were attack and she fought along side the troops.Very far fetched and I can't think off the top of my head which Emperor you could find to fit with this.It would only be a one off anyway.Could it work for a story?

:roll:
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Women in the roman army? (Combatants) - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Re: Women in the roman army? (Combatants) - by fasta - 12-18-2008, 09:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman (non-)combatants / insurgents Kai 18 4,988 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Women in the Roman Legions??? Zenobia of Palmyra 21 5,286 07-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Women in the Roman Army madoc 9 4,964 10-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Nihonius Legio