Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic kit for 5th century infantry?
I apologize for taking so long to respond, but I have had computer problems and other demands of my time of late. The writings of Flavius Vegetius Renatus (and others such as Marcellinus) are in fact a consideration in trying to decipher what the Late Roman infantrymen would have looked liked. Take note that he wrote at the time of Valentinian II (375-392 AD) and obviously would not have been aware of the army of the 5th Century. Also, even Vegetius talked about heavy infantry and he, as I, did not say the army became light across the board. Rather, the essential claim was that Andrianople had a profound impact on the desire to resist heavy battle kits. I believe there were other factors at play as well, for example the relative domination of cavalry over infantry (horses cost a lot on money and something had to be the bill payer to fund them), and the need for mobility, particularly in warding-off and/or responding to brigands, small unit attacks, and the like. As time went on, the empire became ore strapped for cash, and funding a huge army equipped with a heavy battle kit would have been hard to maintain. Anyway, those are my thoughts. By the way, the observation was made that Vegetius claim was disproven. May we ask, by whom? Best wishes, and thanks for the great discussions. Big Grin
Marcellus Valerius Gothicus (aka Dave Dietrich)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Basic kit for 5th century infantry? - by MarcellusCCLXXV - 01-29-2010, 11:07 PM