Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Reenactment grade gear? & Pugio/Gladius wearing
John

I too agree with the general consensus that it's going to end up being what you feel is accurate best to your budget, time and research. Perhaps a little on skill or learning one, in doing your own reconstruction work when you can.

This is afterall, a Hobby. One of the [many] mantras of Leg III Cyr is "We yake what we do pretty seriously, but we don't take ourselves all that seriously" Big Grin

We try to do the best with what we've got, what we can get, and what we can make, and try to copy as well as research what's known. I don't think you can ask for anything more than that.

Certainly there has been a couple of items that are currently available that we in Leg III and Leg XX "disagree" with in terms of how accurate or what's not proper to be wearing - as some of us have taken some of the "junk" list items and converted/"de-farbed" them to make them fairly descent to our view, and at a fraction of the cost. But that's what WE do. We have no problem if another group just has [new] members get something better at the get go...Certainly makes things easier in the end. Although we do mention that all of this Roman gear was made by hand, with different skill levels and quality, so why can't we do the same now? Most of the tools and techniques haven't changed at all since then....It's not Rocket Science. ;D

Aaanyway

Baldric... Ya know I've only started having trouble with how 'low' my Gladius sits in the last few months, probably in the last year. But I've not changed the length in about 5 years...So why now is it causing me trouble? But, I do want to try shortening up the baldric, as well as trying the configuration seen on that Armillium site. I think it's a neat idea and worth playing with.

As for the 4 suspension loops - I consider the idea of the 2-belts configuration to be in style well into the 70's if not 80's AD, but the single belt with baldric is also seen since I'd say around 9 AD - so it could just as well be the manufactures of Gladii were making the scabbards with all 4 loops and leaving it up to the individual soldier to decide how he's going to suspend his sword and how many loops to use.

Sort of like driving your friend's car - A car is a car - wheels, steering, gas, brake...transmission we'll leave out to simplify my silly analogy - but you'd still need to adust the seat and mirrors to make the car fit you better. Still drives the same way. Swords are swords. Pointy end goes into enemy, handle you hold. Maybe your buddy likes his sword strapped to a second belt, you like it on a baldric. Whatever floats your boat Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Reenactment Grade Material - by Arminius Primus - 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Re: What is Reenactment grade gear? & Pugio/Gladius wearing - by A_Volpe - 12-08-2008, 11:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Website for Reenactment Gear Jon Blaze 3 1,721 02-19-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) Tarbicus 275 74,306 07-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,686 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe