Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Reenactment grade gear? & Pugio/Gladius wearing
Ave,

This subject has generated a lot of discussion ! I think everyone agrees that we all strive for accuracy, but that like in most things some compromise is required. Even if we could all afford the hand raised helmets and custom made Segmentata. I don't think that those craftsmen could satisfy the demand.

Here in the Balkans, I am trying to resurrect the V Macedonica and at the same time preserve some of the local crafts that are starting to disappear. I had the local blacksmith working on a pugio, lots of pictures and a plain commercial model as a pattern. End result, a weapon that would be absolutely deadly in a close in knife fight, but it differed a bit from the pictures and pattern. Functional , but ugly! So handmade but not necessarily reenactment quality. So some of our terms are relative as well.

I think that the bottom line is to get as close as possible to existing patterns at reasonable cost. ...and if there has to be a compromise, to be up front about it with the public and ourselves.

Regards from the Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE

Messages In This Thread
Reenactment Grade Material - by Arminius Primus - 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Website for Reenactment Gear Jon Blaze 3 1,721 02-19-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) Tarbicus 275 74,306 07-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,686 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe