Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What helmet is this? (please help :)
The face masks, I think there were the remains of more than one, were found on the site of the Great Palace in Constantinople (Istanbul). The remains were found in association with at least one coin of Manuel I (1143-1180).

Interestingly, in Choniates chronicle (written soon after 1206 - English trans. by H. Magoulias as "O City of Byzantium," page 54), Manuel himself is described as having his "visor" shattered in battle. In 1151 he was campaigning against the Hungarians and: "a man [Hungarian leader] of heroic stature and brawny arms who struck a blow that shattered the iron screen dependent from the helmet that protected the emperor's face and eyes."

Of course a great deal depends on the original Greek and the accuracy of translation, but only a plate visor would shatter, a mail face-covering camail could be riven or split but not "shattered."

Oh! - I should say that the emperor then cut off the arm of his opponent, Manuel was a skilled fighter, and obviously capable of a fast recovery from a heavy chop to the face. Confusedhock:
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Messages In This Thread
Re: What helmet is this? (please help :) - by Urselius - 12-05-2008, 10:04 PM