Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double hand grips on the aspis
Quote:Hey! Its not fair to use that on me. I think I proposed that years ago on the phalanx. No fair using my own previous ideas against me Its funny how long we have known each other and how many friends I have online who I have never actually seen or heard.
Hey,I do remember speaking about this on the phalax long ago,but it was actually MY idea. I remember you saying this was the only logical explanation(except of your of course :lol: ) that one proposed in all that discussion. Please don't make me go back into thousands of posts to find it and post it here! However you must be older than me in the Phalax forum,so perhaps you had thought of it before i came,but i certainly haven't read it from you.
Now on those vases,the left one seems somewhat tight. Interestingly he's not holding it,and the antilabe is certainly not one the rope can pass through. The other I don't believe it shows tight ropes,especially of the striking man. However the same artist in the same vase shows a shield with the rope connected to antilabe and the other not. So I think there is evidence against the supposition that the antilabe and the rope were connected and it was the hand that stretched it. However,may i point out that a stretched rope is always a streight line seen from any side. In all those vases the ropes are at least somewhat curved,often in the oposite direction of the vase's curvature.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Double hand grips on the aspis - by PMBardunias - 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 12-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Hand Grips on the Aspis - by Paullus Scipio - 12-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Aspis Hand Grips - by Paullus Scipio - 12-04-2008, 02:59 AM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 12-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Re: Double hand grips on the aspis - by Kineas - 01-08-2009, 09:08 PM