Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the description of Sphacteria has to tell us
That "better and most brilliantly epuiped" means better polished and more painted is just your own assumption. That even the ships were just more decorated is again false,as we know a vast number of ships were actually built exactly for the purpose of this expedition. And not only once Thuc mentions that this was a great army in all levels,but he puts it several times in the mouth of the generals. Even after their loss Nikias urges his men to look around them and see for themselves how brilliant an army they still are. Sure he doesn't mean they were well polished or colourful painted! Nor is he speaking just for numbers as even then they were not the greatest army that had been gathered. He's talking about the quality of troups and equipment.
In Sphacteria there was no garisson until the Spartan army arrived,but when the Spartan army arrived there was only a small Athenian garisson in the oposite land. How well and how soon the Spartans knew about the Athenian fleet ariving is another matter,for in their every esteem they were wrong and the whole day was a fiasco.
Once again you misquoting me when you suppose I said I believe the Spartans in Sphacteria were chosen from the lesser armoured men. But myself I would think twice before taking my good old expensive helmet or my well polished bell quirass that I keep from my great grand father,in that island to garisson in just for a wile,especially when I would have to prevent ships to disembarg,and I would have to be by the salty sea all the time.
Have you been in Sphacteria? If not,see the place in Google Earth and use the various photos there to have a vision of what kind of place we're talking about. Imagine first what place was that,where only 60 ment could prevent the entire Spartan fleet to disembarg,and then see the place and judge for yourself if heavily armoured men can do the job in that terrain. The terrain of Spacteria is the same as that where Brasidas tried to reach,especially from the outer coast of the island,where the Athenias would probaly reach.
Yet,still those men had a hoplite shield,many of them had heavy helmets and few may have had cuirasses. They were forming a phalanx and fought in this formation when facing an infantry enemy. This alone makes them "heavy" as they are hoplites. A hoplite always is called "heavy" when compared to psiloi or unarmed/ored rowers who throw rocks,no matter if some of them wore felt helmets.
Now I would suggest abandoning that method of quoting separate phrases,as it only adds to the argumentativity and I have witnessed it many times leading to unbearable "discussions", that no one can follow,like your last one with Paul B.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Re: Sphacteria - by Paralus - 11-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Re: What the description of Sphacteria has to tell us - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 11-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-18-2008, 03:14 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Re: Sphacteria - by Scythian - 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM