Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summarizing the Third Century Crisis
Quote:The structural causes of decline can start to exist before they become obvious I guess.

FWIW I believe that the Antonine Constitution had an effect - by increasing the number of those within the empire who were citizens it reduced the number who previously would have worked to achieve it and impress by public works, etc. A (partially) egalitarian move perhaps (whatever the motive) but maybe a blow to the underlying social structure of the empire?
Except that rich citizens were supposed to do public works, too. They could also campaign for office, and that cost even more money. It might have affected things lower on the social scale, I guess, but the lower classes would probably be pleased to gain the rights of a Roman citizen.

This is a very interesting thread, guys. I don't know enough about the third-century crisis to have much to add.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
summary - by Graham Sumner - 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Re: Summarizing the Third Century Crisis - by Sean Manning - 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fortification of Gaul and the "Crisis of the 3rd Century" Eleatic Guest 1 528 02-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman armies of third century crisis Vexillation 13 3,778 12-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Vexillation
  Army composition of the 3rd century crisis? EdwardL 12 5,851 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross