Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman TFD (Topic For Discussion): Justinian I
Quote:Justinianus would have been in deep trouble if Belisarius had accepted the offer from Osthrogoths for throne... (IIRC. they offered him rule of Italy).

Yes, he would have been in trouble: but then again, any Emperor that allowed a general to have a large number of troops would have been in trouble if that general had decided to rebel.

However, I don't really think that there was ever any real danger of Belisarius accepting the offer. It would have meant an immediate war with the Empire and Belisarius did not have the resources to fight Justinian - especially as some of the commanders in Italy would not have supported his cause. Belisarius knew that any rebellion would have aroused the full might of the empire (compare the resources that Narses was later able to command to destroy the Goths) and Belisarius didn't have the troops available to win.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II

Messages In This Thread
Re: Late Roman TFD (Topic For Discussion): Justinian I - by sonic - 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Justinian Roman helmet / long mail hauberk etruschi 49 9,464 02-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Last Post: daryush
  (moved Roman vs. English to Off Topic) richsc 0 1,328 11-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Last Post: richsc