Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek re-enactors - how do you display?
Thank you for all your replies! Sorry to steer the conversation back to re-enactment but…

Quote:Well, in the case of Athenea, real spears are used for parades, during explanations, and when weapons are shown to people.
Before the combat, real spears are changed, and other ones with false blade are used. real spears are very dangerous in combat, and over all because of the people that are watching. Other thing are gladiatorial games, where there are only two people, far from the crowd, this makes easy to use real weapons because everything is more controlled

each one does it and try to make it look as real as possible. That remembers me that I have to do my own one :lol:
Thanks Servio. When you say ‘real’ spears I assume you mean ‘sharp’ spears. But does that mean you fight with sharp steel weapons in gladiatorial games?! Confusedhock:

What are the false bladed spears? Wooden hafts with blunted steel heads or plastic/rubber? They didn’t look obviously fake (which is good)!

Quote: We have tested "phalanx breaking
Looks great Stefanos! That looks like combat, or was it shield barging with no weapon blows? This looks like combat at least (unless it’s a photo pose)! :wink: http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84 ... C01250.jpg do you use sharp or blunt weapons in Greece Stefanos?

Quote:I would have thought that with the nice gear people just used it to parade in, I don’t want my super thin brass helmet to get dented, or once I spend 100+ hours on shield have it ruffed up.
I agree Tim - As I mentioned in your ‘Modifying a Depeeka Corinthian Helmet’ thread, the thinness of the helmets might explain why there seems to be so few Greek combat groups out there! Shame. As I said it would be nice to get a helmet that could stand up to a beating even if I don't ever need it to! I wonder if Manning helmets are of a reasonably strong thickness (not that you’d let anyone dent it! Big Grin ?:

The fact that all the hoplites shields look so perfect made me suspect the spears weren’t metal tipped! Even blunt ones can do some serious damage (as my later period shields will testify!)
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greek re-enactors - how do you display? - by Pericles of Rhodes - 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Greek Re-enactors display - by Paullus Scipio - 08-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Greek Hoplites - display? - by Paullus Scipio - 08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Xenophon and Theban Tactics - by Paullus Scipio - 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM