Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian-Alanic Horsebows of the pre-Hunnic era
Hailog, Jon and Istvan

My interest is trying to discover the time-period when the Sarmatian (Alanic) bow went from the older symetrical design to asymetrical. Also I wonder how long the syahs were on the earlier types, post-Scythian.

I use a "wimpy" bow, not like Istvan's 39-pounder. At around 40# I begin to shake and my accuracy suffers. Right now I'm using a 33# Istan Toth bow in the Magyar design almost exact to the one that Attila carried in the movie but never actually used. Most of thes actors looked like they were shooting Scythian youth bows. At some point, I'll get a Kajos Lassai bow, probably his asymetrical Hun or the "Grayhound."

I wonder about the origin, both time period and place, of these great shooting bows. It appears that the later period Romans, at least in Imperial times, used bows with syahs. But we know very little... as compared to swords or other weapons.

Tight shooting,

Alanus
A.J. Campbell, shaky old fart
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Hunnic bow - by Treveri Gaul - 07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Re: Sarmatian-Alanic Horsebows of the pre-Hunnic era - by Alanus - 07-25-2008, 03:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,412 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Early Alanic Sword Reproduction Alanus 6 3,811 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Alanus