Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primitive Rome?
Well, slavery may have run the economy in Roman times, but slavery in the Western world only disappeared around 150 years ago. And, there is plenty of evidence for slavery to be not <em>too </em>uncommon in other parts of the world right now.<br>
<br>
I understand that areas that became Romanized did see a rise in their standard of living, and becoming a Roman citizen was quite sought after there, so there must have been something about it. Just like now, if you keep your nose clean and your head down then things can go relatively smoothly - a generalisation but not too far off the mark. If you lead an insurrection then the government will stamp down on you straight away.<br>
<br>
I had a brief email from someone telling me that it may just be possible that evidence has been found of Roman artefacts (armour) that may have been made of steel. I think this is being investigated so there's no general news, unless someone can expand on that?<br>
<br>
As for religion, well; I see plenty of evidence of religious intolerance in the world today, and I do believe that the Romans were extremely tolerant of other people's beliefs, even adopting some into their own faiths and practises. It was those that seemed harmful to society that were persecuted, Dionysios being one, as well as Christianity for a time, which may have honestly been seen as actually a violent and anti-social faith in the public perception (eating the flesh, drinking the blood - how many tabloids nowadays misinform and distort the truth if it's popular to do so). There's no difference today.<br>
<br>
The Western world seems to have seen a decline after Rome broke up, except in the East were advances in technology and civilisation thrived. However, much of that may have been due to major climate changes, something we struggle to cope with even today. Looking at the Bible (I've said this elsewhere, sorry the Romans actually seem to come out in a fairly positive light, Luke being extremely proud of his Roman citizenship.<br>
<br>
One of the main reasons for many of Rome's physical structures being delapidated or lost is through vandalism and 're-use' of their parts. Otherwise, natural conditions brought them down, which I don't believe is unreasonable, especially if they're not maintained. I talk mainly of buildings, etc. So, they must have had something? The aqueducts are a magnificence of engineering and, considering the tools and machinery available, they only instill amazement in me.<br>
<br>
Thanks for listening, and I'm sure there are plenty of opinions disagreeing with me out there<br>
<br>
Jim/Tarbicus. <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Messages In This Thread
Primitive Rome? - by Ebusitanus - 01-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by Ebusitanus - 01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by Ebusitanus - 01-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by Anonymous - 01-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by John Maddox Roberts - 01-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by Robert Vermaat - 01-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by Ebusitanus - 01-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by Tarbicus - 01-24-2005, 09:46 AM
skewed - by Carlton Bach - 01-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Re: skewed - by Tarbicus - 01-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by LCorneliusScaeva - 12-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by Timotheus - 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Primitive Rome - by Paullus Scipio - 12-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by Tarbicus - 12-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Re: Primitive Rome? - by SigniferOne - 12-06-2008, 02:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need article in Bulletin of Primitive Archaeology Flavius Promotus 1 957 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Medicus matt