Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig
I'm going into the museum tomorrow morning, so I'll have a word (if he's in) with Mark then and see what the latest thoughts are. Whatever it is, it's an interesting piece. The remarkable thing (to my eyes) about this dig is that the Roman building remains are so close to the surface - you could literally just dig your heel in and there would be Roman stonework exposed! I would say that in the centre of the dig, it's no more than 6 to 9 inches down. Clearly, this field has not been ploughed!

I haven't searched around here in RAT, but has anyone mentioned the Centurial Stone that came up almost immediately the dig started? It was in almost perfect condition and the lettering was easily read. The warehouse seems to have been constructed by the 1st cohort, as the stone has been inscribed with "PP" at the end (i.e. Primus Pilus). If the centurion (Flavius Rufinus) is the same one who appears on several other stones, he seems to have been promoted, as the other stones (one of them, anyway) shows him as commanding the 3rd cohort! This might suggest some information as to the promotion system within a legion - provided it's the same man, of course.

Caratacus
(Dr Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig - by Caratacus - 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Caerleon "object" - by Paullus Scipio - 07-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Cavalry parade ceremonial helmets Jessy100bc 16 4,231 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Lance and Bow Cavalry Flavivs Aetivs 7 2,727 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Ceremonial/Parade Armour Debate MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 2 1,997 10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS