Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chabrias "At Ease"
Quote:The critical point in the above question is if they kneeled at all. The ancient text? Do you have it?

Quote:Cornelius Nepos: "His most brilliant achievement was his invention in the battle that he fought at Thebes, when he had come to support the Boeotians. For in that affair, when the supreme general Agesilaus was confident of victory and had already put to flight the swarms of mercenaries, Chabrias ordered the rest of the phalanx not to move from their position, but instructed them to receive the enemy's charge with their shields leaning against their knees and spears thrown forward. When Agesilaus saw this novel sight he did not dare to ad- vance and recalled his men, who were already charging, by sound of trumpet. This deed was so cried up throughout Greece that Chabrias desired that the statue that the Athenians set up to him officially in the Agora should be made in that attitude."

Polyaenus says:7 "Chabrias ordered the Athenians, Gorgidas the Thebans, not to run forward, but to remain still, holding their spears upright and leaning their shields against their knees. Agesilaus, amazed at the firm array withdrew."

Diodorus: "Chabrias the Athenian, being in command of the mercenaries, ordered his soldiers to receive the enemy with contempt, standing fast in their ranks, and leaning their shields upon their knees, to remain with spears upright. Agesilaus marvelled at the good discipline of the enemy and at their disdain"

Now that I see how quickly it can be done I agree with the at ease theory. I had dismissed the other idea as suicidal, but worried that taking your shield off your arm was only slightly less so.

If anyone wants the papers I was referring to, just send me an email- you already have them Giannis.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Chabrias "At Ease" - by PMBardunias - 07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Re: Chabrias "At Ease" - by ouragos - 07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Re: Chabrias "At Ease" - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 07-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Re: Chabrias "At Ease" - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 07-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Re: Chabrias "At Ease" - by hoplite14gr - 07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Re: Chabrias "At Ease" - by PMBardunias - 07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Re: Chabrias "At Ease" - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-01-2008, 07:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 14,018 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite