Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graham Sumner (Textile Help)
Hi
No secret but just remember that recreating the past often means getting off the Internet and researching the good old fashioned way! :wink:

The following articles both by Hero Granger-Taylor will be of help with the technicalities.

1. Granger-Taylor, H. 1982, 'Weaving Clothes to shape in the Ancient World: the Tunic and Toga of the Arringatore', Textile History13, pp.3-25

2. Granger-Taylor, H. 2007, Weaving Clothes to Shape in the Ancient World 25 years on: Corrections and Further details with Particular Reference to the Cloaks from Lahun'. Archaeological Textiles Newsletter 45 2007. pp. 26-34.

As regards to the shape of the Paludamentum, that is I think guess work based on sculpture as none have ever been found / identified. You need enough material to hang on your left shoulder, wrap around your left arm and to fall elegantly to just above the floor. One suggestion is that the shape should therefore be similar to a Sagum but with the bottom corners curved.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Graham Sumner (Textile Help) - by Doc - 06-16-2008, 11:30 PM
DETAILS - by Graham Sumner - 06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Re: Graham Sumner (Textile Help) - by Doc - 06-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Re: Graham Sumner (Textile Help) - by Nathan Beal - 06-19-2008, 08:27 AM
CLOAK - by Graham Sumner - 06-19-2008, 11:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Roman Warriors: The Paintings of Graham Sumner Condottiero Magno 5 901 01-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Arius