Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
status of the Lepontiers in the roman army and urban life??
Quote:Where they part of the bigger Helvetti "tribe" ore where they all together different??

And now ones you also sad something about there writing, maybe you can shed some light upon this topic I started here...
www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=21921
Because ELUVEITIE is I belief written by Lepontiërs with an Etruscan Alphabet... Maybe we can come up with the name written in a fully Lepontic writing manner...

As far as I know they were two distinct groups; the Helvetii occuped the Swiss main area and were divided into four minor tribes; Caesar gives the names of two of them: the Verbigeni and the Tigurini.
The Lepontii lived in a small Alpine area along the Ticine and Ossola valleys and the related mountain passes (today's areas of Bellinzona, Lugano and Domodossola - ancient Ocela, their main center).

The inscription "eluveitie" was found in Mantua, an Etruscan center of the Po valley ...probably (it is only a supposition) it is an Etruscan inscription related to an Helvetian immigrant or a person with Helvetian origin living there, rather than a Lepontic inscription written with the Etruscan alphabet.
The termination of the word "eluveitie" in -ie is a tipical Etruscan male adjectival one; the corresponding Celtic form should have a termination in -ios . Mantua is also somewhat distant from the Lepontic or Helvetian areas.

Another problem is related to the datation of that inscription, which is dated back to 300BC; it seems that before moving to modern Switzerland the Helvetii lived north of the Rhine, and that migrated to the Swiss territories at the end of 2nd century BC pushed by the Germanic ethnic movements; surely the proto-Celtic "Golasecca" culture groups lived in the Alpine area and in the nearby north-western Italian region from the ninth century BC, so the Lepontii pre-existed to the Helvetian migration in the neighbouring Swiss areas.
Luciano Bassotti

Messages In This Thread
Re: status of the Lepontiers in the roman army and urban life?? - by Nahars - 06-28-2008, 03:06 PM