Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are there any republican-era reenactors?
Quote:In the Hispaniensis from Mouries (France) there's an hexagonal bronce plate, inserted in the tang. It has been interpreted as a guard plate by Armae in its Hispaniensis.
No other plates in the rest of Hispaninesis that I know...
See the PDF article: Augustan sword scabbards with net-like fitments - Janka Istenic.
http://av.zrc-sazu.si/En/54/AV54.html

Fig. 7a, from Magdalensberg dated to 30/20 BC, clearly shows a guard plate of what seems to be elliptical shape. The important point is that she says those scabbards found with net-like fittings only on the tip are early to late Augustan, but their predecessors seem to have had the cage-like fittings over the full length (p.274).

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that means to me that style of sword could certainly be used for Caesarian or Civil Wars at least, and probably earlier, simply because the Delos sword has a similar arrangement and that dates to even earlier. The Magdalensberg sword certainly looks to be an Hispaniensis, not a Mainz. When it comes to the brass guard plate, we see one on the Mourie sword and the Magdalensberg, so why wouldn't there be more inbetween those times as long as they had a square shoulder at the top of the blade?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Are there any republican-era reenactors? - by Tarbicus - 05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
X Legion "Equestris" - by Buggnkat - 06-28-2008, 03:36 PM
LEGIO I ANTIQVA - by Aemilianus - 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Photo of my equipment - by Aemilianus - 08-04-2008, 10:39 PM
another complete view - by Aemilianus - 08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Shoes - by Aemilianus - 08-07-2008, 12:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  roman republican reenactors in australia barcid 18 4,432 12-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Last Post: barcid