Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How practical is it to make things?
(excuse the tangent, it's vaguely relevant)

For the last 4 years i have spent the majority of August on site working with a friend of mine in a medieval style mint.

I tend to take a number of 'small' jobs with me to be getting on with whilst our normal money making activities are not in demand. One rather nice summers day i was sat leaning against a tree getting on with a tunic and a family comes by. The mother immediately starts admonishing her sons (both in their late teens) with 'well if he can sew his own clothes you could at least sew on your own shirt buttons'.

It possibly helps that i have the build of a rubgy player (with the beer gut of the entire team Smile ).

-oOo-

But in answer to your question, yes it's certainly possible to make everything you need. Go back even a few years and most people did. It depends on what experience you have and what tools you have access to. If you live near to other reenactors (and they don't have to be Roman) then there is most probably a wealth of experience nearby, but don't forget your parents and especially grandparents.

So in short give it a try. If you get stuck or need help then you can always ask on here.

HTH
N.

Messages In This Thread
How practical is it to make things? - by Max_ - 05-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Re: How practical is it to make things? - by DanM - 05-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Re: How practical is it to make things? - by DanM - 05-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Re: How practical is it to make things? - by Iace - 05-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Re: How practical is it to make things? - by Nathan Beal - 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Re: How practical is it to make things? - by JVL - 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  starting making a practical scutum Wilmpie66 5 1,749 02-11-2011, 07:20 PM