Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swastika on roman army shields/gear
Just got back from the first event wearing my swastika tunic.

When talking about clothing, the second question was 'Why are you wearing swastikas?' (The first was 'aren't you hot in that?' - wearing a thick wool tunic & fur pannonian cap with temperatures in the sun at 25C+ - and thats in WALES!!!)

Talking to random British public, many new it was a good luck sign for the Hindus (Multi-cultural education?) but didn't know it was the same for the Romans & some asked if I was a German mercenary serving in the Roman army. I asked a few if it offended them, none said it die, but most actually said it was good to see it being re-instated as a good luck symbol - that surprised me. The local Vicar even commented it was right for a Late Roman as it was probably a sun wheel symbol for Sol Invictus worshippers.

There seems to be well educated public in South Wales Big Grin
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall

Messages In This Thread
Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Decius - 04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by DanM - 04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 04-22-2008, 04:23 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by DanM - 04-23-2008, 02:09 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Semisalis Abruna - 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Re: Swastika on roman army shields/gear - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-09-2008, 10:50 PM