Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War Tactics - The NON-cheese variety
When playing RS as Rome, my legion tactics follow a pseudo-historical tactic formulated to my needs.

Ten cohorts of my legion are placed in battle groups of 5 (Select units in game and hit "G" to group them, then "shift+1-8" to select a formation, shift+1 being a line), with the two lines directly lined up, so I have two lines of five cohorts spread 4 ranks deep each. Then I place Fire At will (historic oxymoron, since 'fire' is a terribly 18th century term... so 'release at will...) for the first line, and Guard mode ("D" key) on. This means that when the first lines engage, the rear two ranks will continue to rain Pila on their enemy.

To the front I post my Archers, Skirmish mode OFF (you'll have to micro manage them, but when Skirmish is ON they will not obey orders, and you'll find one unit of archers across the map running from some Bastarnae half way through the battle!). If I have artillery, I place some Auxiliaries protecting them on a flank, and my cavalry generally is split into two forces, with one squadron on the artillery's flank and 3 on the other, or however many I have; If I'm fighting a more phalangite heavy enemy I'll generally have more light Auxilia or Velites than cavalry.

This is a good layout because you have 5 cohorts in reserve, and you have cavalry able to flank the enemy and hit their rear. Nothing routes barbarians as much as a (I hate to say it... :oops: ) Gladiator style charge into their rear after they are engaged. Once the enemy comes in close, I fall my archer back behind the line and if the flanks are not threatened I place them there with Auxiliary support to fire into the enemy flanks. I leave fire arrows off as they are less accurate and so it will result in friendly fire to your poor legionnaires.

I then counter charge with my infantry once the enemy is closing in, and then coupled with the cavalry charge to the rear they will usually break.

This usually leaves five casualty-free cohorts, so the next battle around you can use your battle- hardened cohorts as the reserves and have a full-strength front to show your enemy!
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III

Messages In This Thread
Re: Rome Total War Tactics - The NON-cheese variety - by Marcus Hortensius Castus - 03-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,325 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,955 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 93,213 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67