Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dacian Wars: Strength of Trajan\'s Army
Quote:
Paullus Scipio:fa4nyeoq Wrote:Diegis wrote:-
Quote:Well, from what i read in a military history book from here, roman army who atack Dacia was around 150,000,
....this is certainly an exaggeration. Unfortunately, Romanian sources of history should be treated with great caution, as they are often contaminated by bias and outright propaganda under the communist Ceaucescu regime, seeking to 'glorify' Romanian history.
Well, i dont know wich is your qualification, and how much you study the history of that wars ( i saw you dont know, however, all the details ), but here, since was a very important part of our national history, was heavy studied. And, i tend to believe that historians who said what i am said, and not you. And, btw, now, is two decades since comunism was gone, so your obsession with romanian history contaminated by Ceausescu apear quite odd. And, believe me, all nations glorify their history, is a fact all over the world. And i told you in another post what was the "comunist view" about dacians, the way of glory who was trying to be gived to them. Their military capacities can be traced from ancient writings or monuments, as well from archeology, and the fact they was stronger then celts or germans, at that moment, is a fact, not a comunist invention :roll: . Hmm, sometime i even suspect you that you have something against dacians Tongue

I'd go with Paul's numbers. I'd even suggest they are really the absolute maximum. The numbers were probably much lower as I'd suspect that most legions did not participate with all their soldiers. The local ones yes, but the ones from the East or the Rhine surely left strong garrisons at their home bases.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]

Messages In This Thread
Strength of Trajan\'s army - by Paullus Scipio - 03-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Re: Strength of Trajan\'s army - by diegis - 03-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Re: Strength of Trajan\'s army - by D B Campbell - 03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Re: Strength of Trajan\'s army - by L C Cinna - 03-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Numbers in Trajan\'s Army - by Paullus Scipio - 03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Numbers of Trajan\'s Armies - by Paullus Scipio - 03-09-2008, 12:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 3 450 04-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Darrell Hindley
  Legions in Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign AureliusFalco 5 3,247 07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Last Post: AureliusFalco
  Legions of Trajans Dacian wars marcus ulpius quadratus 17 12,166 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross