Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evropantiqva - Celtic and Germanic Reenacting
Quote:Very nice video. I noticed that the spear tips I saw, looked to have a Q-tip kind of end on them. I'm assuming some kind of padding? Were all the rest of the weapons rendered similarly less harmful?

Just in a little part.

The frameas an the javelins, due to their hazard and lack of controllability, in a reenacting dinamic context like ours MUST be with a "fake" point (padded tennis ball or wrapped sponge), unless you want to run the risk of seroiusly wound or even kill your opponent.

The franciscas, being throwing axes, couldn't be real, so we use painted plywood for the blades.

On the other hand, other weapons like germanic seax, gaulish knifes, sicae and gladii can be used with a good margin of safety, obviously if wielded by a prepared person, so we used them in metal (obviously they MUST NOT be sharped or too pointed).

Even head balanced weapons like celtic swords, germanic axes or germanic cudgels are used without any kind of padding, but being less controllable than shortswords and knives, we target with them ONLY the opponent shield, the risk of breaking bones unacceptable.
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -

Messages In This Thread
Re: Evropantiqva - Celtic and Germanic Reenacting - by Caturix - 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  are there any celtic or germanic groups in oregon/washington caius matinius mattius 14 5,134 08-08-2017, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Celtic & Germanic Clothing Avatar 11 3,522 11-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Nerva