Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century
Quote:I can't be sure of course, but the Romans often built fleets when they had use for them, letting them rot away after the expedition was over.

We see a similar attitude over here on the Lower Rhine: rather than sailing upriver, Roman barges were only used locally for a longer period of time, or else scrapped and/or used as a harbour defence.

Interesting. So, it, at least sometimes, was Roman practice to discard or recycle used ships for other uses. It seems so wasteful and expensive, but maybe the practice implies that Roman ships were not built that sturdily, having short lifespans ?

Quote: the only time that Aetius was in a position to do anything about Africa was after the Huns had become the main threat. However, Aspar was till the man who in effect dealt with Africa, being the man who relieved Boniface. In effect, Aetius never had the jurisdiction to act in Africa, as I argued earlier.

Thanks for the timeline. Smile It does help put things in perspective.

I must have confused Aetius' authority with Stilicho's.

So, Aetius always had at least one rival, sometimes two, but I think he always commanded the most powerful army in the West. There was an army for Italy and Africa but his troops were probably the most battle-hardened. It sounds like he could've gotten his way if he ever decided to force the issue.

But you're right, the ultimate responsiblilty for failing to recover Africa was Valentinian III's (or whoever pulled his strings). Ceding terriority so close to Carthage (for how ever short a time) was a fatal mistake, IMO. The Vandals only grew stronger when Rome let up the pressure.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Theodosius the Great - 02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Syagrius_Rex_Romanorum - 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Units in the Western Provinces (1): 31 BC-AD 195 Condottiero Magno 4 4,137 08-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Third Century AD - the Empire is Never Reunited Paul Elliott 5 1,478 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Aetius and the Western Empire Renicus Ferrarius 52 9,598 09-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs