Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century
Quote:Maybe the roman fleet (if it stil existed?), wasn't big enouth to do much more than defend against a couple of pirates ships.

I've re-read parts of Vegetius and he seems to speak of the fleet in the present tense. He wrote his 'Epitome' just a few years before Constantius III so I'm not sure if this sheds any light on our discussion.

A thought :
  • if a fleet is not in use (due to a shortage of marines / oarsmen, etc.) then wouldn't ships be dry-docked to shield them from the elements ? From my reading about the Battle of Lepanto, I know the Venetians did this in the 15th and 16th centuries because they lacked manpower to permanently man all their ships

Quote:wasn't big enouth to do much more than defend against a couple of pirates ships.

Yes, it may have been reduced to something like a modern 'coast guard.'

Quote:But by the way, even if Aetius had a fleet, since the vandals were invited by Bonifacius, i don't see why he should send the fleet to Hispania (where the vandals were) and let Italia without a fleet

Why would anyone use a fleet to reconquer Hispania when you have land routes ?

But getting back to the main issue :
  • was it militarily, strategically unfeasible to transfer troops from Gaul to Africa ? Let's leave aside the political obstacles for a moment.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Theodosius the Great - 02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Syagrius_Rex_Romanorum - 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Units in the Western Provinces (1): 31 BC-AD 195 Condottiero Magno 4 4,121 08-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Third Century AD - the Empire is Never Reunited Paul Elliott 5 1,462 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Aetius and the Western Empire Renicus Ferrarius 52 9,525 09-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs