Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century
Quote:Did that fleet still existed?
It's only a twenty year lapse from Aetius's accession.

Quote:Aetius was magister militum per Gallias, he had no jurisdiction in Africa
Even after Boniface was killed ? I meant the 430s, after Boniface was gone. Are you saying Aetius did not have the legal authority to send an expedition to Africa during that time period ?

I don't see why Gaul's fate should be tied to Italy's. Abandoning Gaul to save Africa would seem to be wiser, IMO. Once Africa was recovered then he could have focused on Gaul again.

Quote:Are you referring to Constantius III, the one who ruled only a few months?
Oops ! Yes, I meant Constantius III. Sorry for using the anglicized version of his name :oops:

Quote:Turning away from Gaul to Africa would be too risky?
Yes, that's my question as well. What that the conventional wisdom at the time (and now) ?

Quote:the Roman government had already signed a treaty with the Vandals. So I guess, no, he couldn't really do anything about the situation in Africa.
Yes, but the treaty was broken when a joint naval expedition was eventually sent by both Empires. Besides, I doubt that the Western Emperor was truly independent or was strong enough to impose his authority.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Theodosius the Great - 02-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Syagrius_Rex_Romanorum - 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Units in the Western Provinces (1): 31 BC-AD 195 Condottiero Magno 4 4,137 08-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Third Century AD - the Empire is Never Reunited Paul Elliott 5 1,478 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Aetius and the Western Empire Renicus Ferrarius 52 9,595 09-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs