Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century
Quote:I have a question; could somebody explain to me what the military situation was during Flavius Aetius's period in the western empire?
All I know is that he lost a battle against Bonifacius in 432

We should remember that due to Aetius' political intrigue North Africa, the Western Empire's wealthiest province, was lost to the Vandals. This greatly reduced revenues to the imperial coffers which exacerbated the Empire's declining military situation.

Quote:P.S. I'm trying to work this whole thing out in Rome: Total War setting but I don't know where to look for this specific and 'hard-to-get' info

This book will help you with creating historically plausible armies - Persian, Barbarians, and Romans.

Are you playing the "Invasio Barbarorum" mod (updated version) ?
They've added new factions like : Lakhmid Arabs and Armenians.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Theodosius the Great - 02-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Syagrius_Rex_Romanorum - 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Units in the Western Provinces (1): 31 BC-AD 195 Condottiero Magno 4 4,138 08-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Third Century AD - the Empire is Never Reunited Paul Elliott 5 1,478 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Aetius and the Western Empire Renicus Ferrarius 52 9,603 09-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs