Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century
I have a question; could somebody explain to me what the military situation was during Flavius Aetius's period in the western empire?
All I know is that he lost a battle against Bonifacius in 432 and he took with him all comitatenses troops from Gaul except two legions or so and later on Aetius was dependant on his Hunnic allies to counter the Goths in Gaul.
Now I have a quite few (say: a lot) dark spots inside of my head (and I'm probably not alone on this)...

What was the condition of the frontier garrisons? Did the legions still play a part in this? Were there still legions or any other significant armies in Italy and Illyricum to secure these regions or was the defence of the empire totally in the hands of mercenaries like Huns, Germanics, etc. from abroad? (which I presume is the case)
What role does the Auxilia Palatina play in all this?

Anyone with any theory, hypothese or attempts to make things (more) clear is welcome Smile

Thank you :wink:

P.S. I'm trying to work this whole thing out in Rome: Total War setting but I don't know where to look for this specific and 'hard-to-get' info.
Thijs Koelewijn

Messages In This Thread
Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Razor - 02-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Re: Defences of the western Roman empire in 5th century - by Syagrius_Rex_Romanorum - 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Units in the Western Provinces (1): 31 BC-AD 195 Condottiero Magno 4 4,124 08-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Third Century AD - the Empire is Never Reunited Paul Elliott 5 1,464 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Aetius and the Western Empire Renicus Ferrarius 52 9,537 09-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs