Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The survival rate of ancient literature
Quote:
Sean Manning:1ymzj30r Wrote:My original question has been answered in this thread and by a PM from someone who probably didn't want to get into this argument, so why don't we stop now or start a new thread?

Sure. I learned some new things from the thread. Smile

~Theo
I sure did! It sounds like under 1% and maybe about 0.1% of ancient literature survives. I'll read up on medieval Alexandria and Carthage and judge their history for myself.

Robert, I know that a fellow named Manuel Chrysoleras came to Italy about 1400 CE to teach the Italians Greek and make some good Latin translations of Greek texts. There is an article on him and people like him here. I have no idea how they justified the switch, unless they hadn't been in the angry mobs screaming “better the Sultan than the Pope!â€
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The survival rate of ancient literature - by Sean Manning - 02-29-2008, 03:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inventory of the entire body of ancient literature Eleatic Guest 6 2,115 08-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Text Transmission: The (non)-survival of Ancient Books Julian de Vries 1 1,644 09-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Julian de Vries
  Tidal Waves or Tsunamis in Ancient Literature Eleatic Guest 29 8,705 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat