Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English translation of "adlectio"?
Quote:You can do this in English too, though it is rarely used nowadays ! Here is a famous military example by the Duke of Wellington at Waterloo in a scribbled order, written under fire, yet perfectly grammatically correct: "..when the roof will have fallen in, you must...." - a description of a future event in past tense! (future perfect tense)

Grammatically correct, but a bit clumsy. Nowadays we'd just say "When the roof has fallen in, you must . . ." and lose almost none of the sense - the future is "understood".

One thing that gets me is the "American conditional" - for example "If I would have gone to the shop. . ." Just sounds wrong.

Here in Oz, we'd either say "If I'd gone to the shop . . ." or if we were being pedantic "Had I gone to the shop . . ."
"It is safer and more advantageous to overcome the enemy by planning and generalship than by sheer force"
The Strategikon of Emperor Maurice

Steven Lowe
Australia

Messages In This Thread
English meaning of Adlectio - by Paullus Scipio - 12-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Re: English translation of \'Adlectio - by egfroth - 01-24-2008, 06:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spanish to English translation philsidnell 0 676 09-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Last Post: philsidnell
  English-German translation request Eleatic Guest 13 3,693 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  English translation of "an sich" and "für si Jona Lendering 9 2,081 12-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Last Post: L C Cinna