Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City Government in Asia Minor
Ave Civitas,

I need the clarification of some Greek titles. Is there anyone who can aid me in untying my knotted thoughts?

I am writing a novel set in the later Roman Empire.

I have read (in the book City Government in Asia Minor) what I thought were appropriate chapters to enlighten me. It seems to me that having a command of Greek is a prerequisite for this text.

What I am still in the dark about is;

How were these city officials addressed and I, of course, know nothing of conjugating words in Greek.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that the Logistai acted like Curatores, that is a Logistai would be resposible for aqueducts, street maintenance, etc.

2. If my character is speaking of him would he be refered to as (the/a) Logistai

[the Logistai looked at him]

or is he a Logistoi?

3. Am I correct in assuming that the City cheif magistrates (Duoviri) would be called the Archi or would he be the Archoi?

Again, if my character is speaking of him would he be the Archai or would he be the Archoi?

Another title that confuses me is Asiarchai. What is it? I searched the book for a definition and could find nothing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)

Messages In This Thread
City Government in Asia Minor - by Lothia - 12-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Re: City Government in Asia Minor - by Lothia - 12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Re: City Government in Asia Minor - by Lothia - 01-03-2008, 11:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Income and population distribution: Europe, Asia, Africa Eleatic Guest 9 2,416 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest