Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where was Valentia Province in Britannia ?
Quote:Wow, that is pretty detailed info Martin, what are the sources? I am pretty ignorant of most later Roman history....Since I live in Scotland, it would be interesting to know!

It can be found in Morris (Age of Arthur), though he is considered to have stretched his extrapolations from the sources rather far. Other books on Late Roman British history have basically the same story.

The Cornovii, later calling themselves the Pagenses (Powis), were the last Welsh of lowland Britain (excepting the Cornish) to remain independent of English rule in modern Shropshire and Cheshire. Cynddylan, their last notable ruler, is the subject of some rather moving poetry.

The Votadini warriors under Cunedda seem to have expelled most of the Irish from Wales, though some early members of the Dyfed and Gwent princely families have rather Irish-looking names.

It is notable that in post-Roman times there was no distinction drawn between the native peoples of what is now Southern Scotland and those of Northern England all were undifferentiated as "fellow-countrymen" (Cumbrogi - Cymri). The later Welsh writers called them Gwyr-yr-Gogledd "The Men of the North." The Picts and Scots of Argyll were foreigners but the peoples of Strathclyde and Lothian were most definitely not.

The last Welsh king of Strathclyde-Cumbria, Owen the Bald, died around 1018, and of course the surname of Scotland's greatest hero, William Wallace, means "Welshman" (from the Old English wylisc - pronounced "wullish").
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Where was Valentia Province in Britannia ? - by Urselius - 12-20-2007, 02:08 PM