Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faux-Spartan Black Broth
Quote:my grandmother used to make a type of "blood soup" when i was a kid and I wonder if they're similiar.

Hey Sharon Big Grin Spartan black broth was famous- famously unappetizing. It was said that it could only be enjoyed if you grew up drinking the waters of the Eurotas- the river thast ran through sparta.

It was probably a thick pig blood and barley stew. I've had blood and rice sausage, but never soup- though my Mom's Polish family make one of duck's blood. Since both blood and barley conspire to thicken, it may have been really rich. As for spices I use marjoram and basil, sometimes thyme, cuman, or oregano, as well as garlic and onions.

I specifically use the black beans to avoid using the blood, since nobody but me would eat it then, and I'm not to sure about me! I tried squid ink, but the beans are easier. If you have ever had "Cuban" black bean stew or Brazilian fehoda, you'll know how black it can get. People who will not touch a blood stew will eat this- especially for americans, who eat no meat but muscle tissue.

I should warn you that it tastes appropriately unappetizing.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Faux-Spartan Black Broth - by PMBardunias - 12-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Re: Faux-Spartan Black Broth - by Ceannt - 12-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Re: Faux-Spartan Black Broth - by Senovara - 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Re: Faux-Spartan Black Broth - by PMBardunias - 12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Re: Faux-Spartan Black Broth - by Senovara - 12-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Re: Faux-Spartan Black Broth - by PMBardunias - 12-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Re: Faux-Spartan Black Broth - by Senovara - 12-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Spartan Black Broth - by Paullus Scipio - 12-26-2007, 09:33 PM