Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Roman site in The Netherlands - 150 km north of the Rhine!
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The area is already known as Saxon during the 3rd century, with Salian Franks, Chamavi and Tubantes to the south, and just before that Chauci to the north. <hr><br>
<br>
I know you have read a little more about the early Anglo-Saxons than I, Vorty, but I would be careful making these bold statements. The "Sahsnotas" were something of a loose confederacy, and I would hesitate describing the people of Drenthe as already being part of them. The original heartland was further to the east, although it is true that by Merovingian times the people of Drenthe had joined the Saxons (or had been absorbed by incoming Saxons? Don't know enough about the history of Drenthe...).<br>
As for the Frisians, I know of this theory but I have my doubts. The temporary disappearance of the tribal name from Roman sources is hardly evidence for the "extinction" of the people; the tribal name could have "disappeared" by virtue of the Frisians becoming grouped with other Germanic tribes, then "suddenly" re-appearing later on. Perhaps they were always there (albeit in a land threatened by rising sea levels), they just weren't mentioned by the meagre sources under that name!<br>
Tribal identities were flexible, with groups joining, splitting, re-joining, disappearing from literary view for a while, then re-appearing again.<br>
Settlement and cultural continuity - or lack of them - may be proven through archaeology, but my impression is that we don't know enough to say anything really conclusive about that when it comes to the population of the modern provinces of Friesland and Groningen. We have theories of course...<br>
In the case of "the modern Frisians are not the ancient Frisians" theory one that is likely to enrage any self-respecting Frisian...which for some persons may be part of the appeal <p></p><i></i>
Andreas Baede

Messages In This Thread
Re: A Roman site in The Netherlands - 150 km north of the Rh - by Chariovalda - 06-02-2004, 06:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Site of Caesar's battlefield of 55BC discovered in the Netherlands Praefectusclassis 5 4,033 12-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Luka Borščak
  Roman ships from Utrecht, The Netherlands Robert Vermaat 1 2,336 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Roman Fortifications in the Netherlands SMC2 15 4,147 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SMC2