Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know?
A while ago there was a site on the net with a good discussion page about Antony's legion denarii, which seems to have disappeared - I can't find it anyway. This page, as I recall, claimed that the first of the legion series carried the title 'Legio Primus' rather than 'Legio I'. This seemed strange - should it not be 'Prima Legio' if the intended meaning was just 'first legion'? It occurred to me that the the 'Primus' might be something of a title in itself - 'first' in the sense of 'best' or 'first to be raised' or something. Is this at all possible, or was it just that the single numeral 'I' might not be prominent enough?<br>
<br>
I don't think there's much chance of the coin series relating to other campaigns than Actium - Antony built up his legions steadily after Philippi, and again after the Parthian campaign - pre-Actium, the number would have been greatest, albeit some of the legions being not of the best quality! <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know? - by Anonymous - 04-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Legio Primus? - by Nathan Ross - 04-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Re: Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know? - by Anonymous - 05-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Re: Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know? - by Anonymous - 05-12-2004, 07:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antony Legionary Denarius coins visegrip 3 1,477 03-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS
  Marc Antony\'s Eighth Legion (LEG VIII) SlyFox 11 2 2,261 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis