Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know?
Ave, Otho!<br>
<br>
The Antony legionary denarii are dated in a number of ways-- hoard evidence (i.e. finding issues in conjunction with other coins that indicate a sequence of issues and a "no later than" burial date), find spots, metallurgy, and general typology. The fact that they honor a long sequence of legions indicates they were struck to pay a large army assembled in one place, and the planned invasion of Italy, to be launched from Actium, provides the most logical occassion for issue. Find spots point to a military mint in western Greece (although they continue to turn up in Roman denarius hoards for more than a hundred years after the date of issue). They are also of slightly base metal, indicating they were struck under the kind of financial stringencies that Antony faced toward the period 32-31 BC. They fit in at the end of a long sequence of issues by Antony, and seem to be among the last coins he struck. You can find all of the evidence laid out in David R. Sear's book "History and Coimage of the Roman Imperators." The book is available via this link:<br>
<br>
www.freemanandsear.com/bo...prodid=188<br>
<br>
You can probably also find a copy at a university library.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps!<br>
<br>
T. Flavius Crispus<br>
Legio VI Victrix Pia Fidelis<br>
California, USA<br>
<br>
aka Dave Michaels<br>
Freeman & Sear <p></p><i></i>
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius

Messages In This Thread
Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know? - by Anonymous - 04-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Re: Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know? - by FlaviusCrispus - 04-12-2004, 05:16 AM
Legio Primus? - by Nathan Ross - 04-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Re: Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know? - by Anonymous - 05-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Re: Marc Antony Legionary Denarius: How do we know? - by Anonymous - 05-12-2004, 07:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antony Legionary Denarius coins visegrip 3 1,477 03-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS
  Marc Antony\'s Eighth Legion (LEG VIII) SlyFox 11 2 2,261 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis