Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legion Staff Officers
Ave Civitas,

I have stumbled again and need some direction.

I am, at this point in my novel, concerned with the administrative staff of a legion.

I believe (and please correct me if I am wrong) when legions were 6,000 they had 6 tribunes assigned to them to assist the legate.

One of the tribunes was a tribunus laticlavius who acted as his XO (assistant commander). The legate also had five other tribunes of lesser rank (equestrian).

My Six questions are:

1. Beside the Tribunus Laticlavius having a specific duty, did the tribuni angusticlavii also have set responsibilities (chief of staff, intelligence, training, logistics, etc?)

2. When Diocletian and Constantine I restructured the legions to 1,000 man units and created independent cohorts, were the number of tribunes assigned to each legion also reduced?

3. If they were reduced, what was the new number?

Additionally,

I have looked at the ND and saw that the various offices had administrative staff, but nothing that would make me recognize them as offices that would accompany a Dux on a campaign.

Campaigns were, I would imagine, commanded by one of the available Dux from what ever area the campaign was launched.

4. What type of staff did the Dux have with him?

Lastly,

Some Auxiliary units, like the Auxilium primorum Daciscorum, seem to be real auxiliary units manned by tribesmen. But according to the ND, some were Pseudocomitatenses.

5. Were these really auxiliary units (of non-Roman soldiers) or were these regular army?

6. What was their command structure?

Though I promised myself many times that I would never, never, buy more books, If someone can point me in the direction of some source that will answer these to me I gladly eat crow, buy the book, and would appreciate your advice.

I thank you again for all your aid in this opus of mine.

Lothia.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)

Messages In This Thread
Legion Staff Officers - by Lothia - 10-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Re: Legion Staff Officers - by Carlton Bach - 10-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Re: Legion Staff Officers - by Lothia - 10-15-2007, 12:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Manipular Legion - Numbers and \'Officers\' Mark Hygate 6 2,715 07-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Mark Hygate